Today we decided to get down the Christmas decor and start decorating for the holidays. I got an amazing kids Christmas cd from Target (don't you just love the dollar spot!), and the boys and I have sipping on cider (actually it's just apple juice) and eating holiday mint M&M's while we decorate the tree.I really love decorating for the holidays, but our Christmas tree always gives me grief. You see, our first Christmas tree was a four ft tree that we purchased at the dollar store. It was a very sad little tree, but we made due and it always ended up looking nice. Last year we updated to a 6 ft tree that Adam's sweet grandmother passed down to us. We have definitely stepped up from the Dollar Tree tree (ha!), but the only problem is that our trees have never been pre lit. So every year I spend 2 or 3 hours fluffing the branches and putting on the lights. This is not an easy task being the perfectionist that I am. And to make matters worse, Adam is an excellent tree decorator (thanks to years of practice at home) so he usually spends an hour fixing what I have done to make it look better.
So I ask myself: Is it really worth it to waste all of this time with an unlit tree, or should we just spend a little extra money and buy a pre lit tree from Sams?
Here is where I am asking for advice from my 5 readers. Do any of you have a pre lit tree? My fear is that we will buy one and then in a year or two the bulbs will be out and we will once again have an unlit tree. Please let me know your experience.
6 comments:
We have an unlit tree purchased before kids. I always feared the whole lights going out thing on the prelits, but they must have some way of getting around it. I'd go somewhere that you can get real help first and ask them questions, then go to Sams to get one cheaper if you want. I understand that it is a major pain in the butt to do the lights. It's takes me hours!!
Right after college I worked at a Christmas store that sold artificial trees; both unlit and prelit. I would HIGHLY recommend the pre-lit trees. The light-strands are now made so if one bulb goes out, you only have to replace that bulb and not worry about the entire strand going out. My advice: wait for the after-Christmas sale and get a really nice tree for 75% off. The good ones can get pricey, but you'll want to get a good one that will last for years. Mine has a 15year warranty on it ... well worth the money we spent.
Hey Alisha! We got two pre-lit trees for our wedding four years ago, my siter kept one and we kept the other. We've both been really happy with ours, and we're about to use them for the fifth time. I say go for the pre-lit. I hate putting on the lights..decorating for Christmas is so much fun, just not that part! But, I must add that Keith was pretty disappointed with the pre-lit tree because putting on the lights was always his job growing up:)
We have had two prelit trees. The first we had to get rid of when we moved because it was too tall for our new house. Both have worked great, and like they said, the bulbs are set up so that the strands don't go out. We always have waited for the after Christmas sale to get them cheap, so that is also my recommendation. Enjoy your last year of stringing lights and indulge in your dream tree on Dec. 26!
:) i was doing a random blog hunt when i came across yours...
Okay, I keep dying to ask...why does your blog say that you are in Afghanistan?
Post a Comment