Thursday, July 16, 2009

Not Too Proud

One might be under the impression that by the third baby, this mom might have her act together and know just what to do to keep her baby happy and content, but that's just not the case. So, I am asking for advice from all my mom readers.
I just can't figure out how to get this baby to sleep during the day. We've tried everything and nothing seems to be working. Newborns are supposed to get lots of rest, but we are having a good day if our little Graham sleeps a total of 1 1/2 hours in the day. This leads to an overtired and cranky baby by the end of the day, leading to an overtired and cranky mom as well.
Just for some background info here are some of the things we've already tried. We've tried swaddling, putting him to bed 1 hour after he wakes, rocking, the swing, sleepy wrap, and the car.
The car seat seems to be the only thing that really works, but it's getting hard to round up all three kids and find an air conditioned place to go several times a day. The sleepy wrap will work for about 30 min, but then he doesn't get a good sound sleep. The same goes for rocking to sleep; 10-30 min after I put him down he wakes up crying. I'll try putting his pacifier in, but he gets really worked up and wants to be rocked back to sleep. By the time I rock him and put him back down it's about time for another feeding so the cycle starts all over again.
I know that this too shall pass, but in the meantime it's very overwhelming for all parties involved. I just want Graham to get the rest he needs so that he can feel good and be happy. Any advice is much appreciated.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Have you tried nursing him to sleep for his naps? Or, swaddling and putting him on his tummy---I did that with Abriella for her naps. She was strong enough to move her head from side to side even swaddled on her tummy. Have you tried just napping him on his tummy? Is his room dark and quiet? We have darkening shades and then a sound machine (to block out sister's loud playing). I totally feel for you! Abriella was a terrible napper, too! I was completely frazzled and I just had her to deal with! (btw, I have been carrying this happiest baby book around for several weeks now. i actually had it when you were sitting in front of me in class a few sundays ago, but i completely blanked and forgot!).

Miranda said...

I'm so sorry! I understand what it is like to have a baby who isn't a great sleeper. It sounds like you've tried some of the best tricks. One friend let her baby sleep swaddled in his car seat in his crib. I think she worked him out of this around 2.5 months. Another friend of mine swaddled and had her babies (twins) sleep on their sides using a side positioner.

I'll say a prayer for you...I can imagine how tired you are, and you have to look after 2 more little guys!

Melissa said...

With Emily, the trick was to swaddle AND swing. And the swing had to be going as fast as possible.

With Ty, the trick was to swaddle, nurse him while laying down on my bed, after he was deeply sleeping, unlatch him and sneak away. I would leave him in the middle of our bed with the flat sheet, quilt, and pillows removed. Usually, I left him on his side, but if I was feeling really nervous, I could slowly and gently roll him to his back.

You may already know this trick, but when I really needed some rest, I used to go to Emily's room and lock her in with me. I would lay down on her bed and nurse Ty while catching some zzzzs. Em was always happy to play by herself or watch a movie on the portable DVD player, and since her room is pretty childproof, I knew I could "sleep on the job."

Jennifer said...

Oh, we also did the swaddle and swing thing, too. Also, we did swaddle and the vibrating bouncy seat. I'll let you know if I think of any other things we did.