Monday, July 23, 2007

Small Town Life

Warning: Depressing Post Ahead!

We've officially been here for a couple of months now and I feel like I'm adjusting to small town life. I'll be honest, though, and say that I am not exactly enjoying small town life. It is a completely different world here. I am trying to make the most of it but some days, like today, I really wish I were back in Lubbock.
I think it's hard on me because Adam is not around very much so I get a little depressed. We don't have a whole weekend together to look forward to like most people, instead we have an average of one day per week, and the day is never the same. The days that Adam does get off, he is usually pretty tired. He will spend most of the day with us, some of the day sleeping, and the last few hours before bed he usually has work to do.
Sometimes I think I would feel better and have more energy if I was able to work out but the gyms here are not so great. Their are only two gyms that have childcare available for kids as young as mine. One of those gyms is more like a house with some exercise equipment from the 80's, and the other is a little better but costs $50 per month. Who could afford that?
So, I've resorted to running around my neighborhood. I wait until the boys are in bed so I usually can't run until 9 in the evening. Even at 9 it is extremely hot and humid and I always end up physically ill after running. Needless to say I only do this every 4 days or so because I can't bear the thought of making myself sick just so that I can exercise.
The heat here is pretty unbearable. The boys and I stay in the house all day because it is so humid and sticky. We have a friend who has access to a pool, but even the pools are warm. Not quite as refreshing as it should be.
The shopping here is also pretty sad. I rarely went shopping in Lubbock, but it was nice to know that if I needed something I could always find it. Our mall here has two big stores (Dillard's and Macy's) and that's about it. That seems exciting but they are low end stores, not the nice ones. On a positive note, though, Target is opening this weekend.
Well, I could go on but I'm really starting to feel like "Debbie Downer". We all have our bad days and I just needed to write about mine so that I could get it off of my chest.

6 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

Do you feel my hugs right now? I am praying these things will soon change. I have joined you in the running world. Same reasons, well one anyway- gym is too expensive. I think its been a really 'freeing' experience for me. Anyway, maybe this heat will burn off and you will be able to enjoy it again. Yea for Target! Hang in there girlie, its gonna get better. Love you!

The Binkley Family said...

I have been there. Did you read my posts from a year ago? And you are lucky! We only have a JC Penneys and it doesn't even have all of the departments!

You will get through it, I promise. Keep your chin up. It will get better!

A D said...

We love and miss you and the kids - Adam too!!
Hang in there, it will get better!!
Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Boo Hoo. Happy shopping!!

Anonymous said...

Get a life, you unappreciative twit!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.